Sunday, October 28, 2007

In the Spirit of Halloween

I've decided to go with a pumpkin color scheme on the new sail set for the Super. No sense in talking me down, I've already placed the order with Quicksilver. Before you criticize my sense of style, let me explain. The burnt orange you see in the picture is actually not anything close to what the finished sail will look like (and thus, it will not really look like a pumpkin). The actual color is called Day-Glo Orange and it makes the plane stand out like a red-neck at a Radiohead concert. I'm not even sure if I'll install a radio, so I really want people to see me. From what I've heard, planes with the orange sails can be seen as far as ten miles out.

Black is favored on the bottom of the wing to offset the glare from the sun. I convinced the guys over at Quicksilver to do a non-standard stitching pattern that allows for different colors on the top and bottom of the wing. Whereas the colors normally wrap around to both sides, mine will be stitched together just aft of the leading edge on the lower wing surface (that is, the color pattern will be inverted here). Hopefully, this will keep the brightness to a minimum in the cockpit. Thanks to Richard and Barry at Quicksilver for working with me on the stitching.

Mark has also agreed to help me paint the pod. I'm thinking of a black and orange starburst. Whadaya think?

No comments: