Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Nice Rubber Family


These are the dummies used in crash tests at CAMI in Oklahoma City where I went through the Physiology of Flight course today. If you've never been in an altitude chamber, try it...it rocks. I didn't quite pass out but I did have a slight case of hypoxic amnesia. That is to say, at least one minute of my life went by unnoticed. But I did get to take note of my individual hypoxia symptoms which was kinda the whole point. What was most amazing though was how quickly everyone recovered after donning the oxygen masks. Where as the symptoms of hypoxia set in about a minute after rapid decompression (to 25,000 feet), the recovery happens almost entirely within the first few breaths of pure oxygen

Tomorrow we are scheduled to do the Post-Crash Survival course. This will probably not be quite as fun, but we do have a water egress scenario in the FAA pool. By the way, thanks to any taxpayers reading this. You are our benefactors.

No comments: